Jan 24, 2022  
Graduate Catalog 2018-2019 
Graduate Catalog 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Types of Graduate Aid

Financial aid is monetary assistance to help the student meet the expenses of attending college. Aid may be in the form of grants, student employment, loans, scholarships, types of outside assistance or a combination thereof.


Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available to undergraduate students based on the financial need of the student. Pell grants are awarded based on full-time enrollment. A student may be eligible for the Pell Grant with less than full-time enrollment depending on student’s award amount. Students may not receive Pell at more than one school at a time. Pell Grant recipients are limited to six scheduled awards (maximum amount for full-time enrollment for a full academic year).

Student Employment

The College provides jobs for students on campus through institutional and federally-funded programs. Student employment is limited based on positions that are available. Students are paid minimum wage or above. Information is available from the Student Employment Coordinator, Human Resources.

Federal Work-Study Program

This federal program provides funding for employment for students who demonstrate financial need according to the results of their FAFSA. Students work either on or off campus earning minimum wage or above. Work-study-eligible students are not guaranteed employment. Students must meet all federal aid eligibility. Students cannot exceed their student employment award. Information regarding open positions and application process is available from the Student Employment Coordinator, Human Resources.

College Work Program

This institutional program provides funding for jobs for student employment. Students work on campus earning minimum wage or above. Work Program eligible students are not guaranteed employment. Students must meet and continue making satisfactory academic progress for employment eligibility. Students must be enrolled as a degree-seeking student and attending at least part-time. If a student should withdraw from all classes, the student is no longer eligible for employment. Students cannot exceed their student employment award. Information regarding open positions and application process is available from the Student Employment Coordinator, Human Resources.


A loan is a type of financial assistance that must be repaid when a student graduates or is no longer enrolled at least half-time in college, depending on the terms of the loan. Students must sign a promissory note (legal agreement to repay) for any loan monies received. The promissory note contains detailed information about terms, responsibilities and repayment of loans.

Direct Loan Program

This program provides unsubsidized loans to eligible students who complete the Free Application for Federal Aid annually. Students must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling, Direct Loan Master Promissory Note, and submit the Electronic Award Letter for loans to be certified. Students must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for loan disbursement. The student is responsible for paying back the principle of the loan along with any interest that accrues.

Direct PLUS Loan Program

This is a credit-based unsubsidized loan made to graduate students (Graduate PLUS) and parents of dependent post-baccalaureate students. This loan must be repaid. Students must access their Direct Loan eligibility first before they are eligible for the Graduate PLUS loans. Graduate PLUS loan award amounts are available for the difference between the Cost of Attendance less other aid and Direct Loans. Graduate PLUS Loans are only available to Full and Conditional Admit graduate students.

Alternative Loan Program

Students who do not have federal loan eligibility or are looking for additional loan options may apply for an alternative loan. These loans are credit based. Additional information is available on the financial aid website.

Outside Sources

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

Students with physical or mental disabilities may be eligible to receive benefits from the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. Assistance may include counseling; training for vocational, technical or professional employment; and funding for books, supplies, maintenance, medical services and transportation. To apply, students should contact the regional Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. Missouri residents may write to the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Jefferson City, MO 65101.

GI Bill® Educational Benefits

Columbia College is approved for enrollment certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance (GI Bill®) from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Eligibility requirements vary for veterans education benefit programs. For additional information and application materials, contact the Ousley Family Veterans Service’s Center, (573) 875-7504 or vacert@ccis.edu. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.


Scholarships, awards and grants are forms of “gift” assistance that do not require repayment. Institutional aid is generally intended for tuition assistance. Endowed scholarships and awards are made through the generous gifts of alumni and friends of Columbia College. These awards are competitive and are primarily based on academic performance. Generally, scholarships, awards and grants are non-need based forms of financial assistance.

Due to federal regulations, scholarships and awards may be affected if you are receiving federal and/or state financial aid.

If you have questions about the College’s financial aid program, call the Enrollment Service Center for assistance at (573) 875-7252

Additional financial aid information is available at the Columbia College’s website: http://web.ccis.edu/offices/financialaid.