Jul 13, 2020  
Graduate Catalog 2014-2015 
Graduate Catalog 2014-2015 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Types of Graduate Aid

Financial aid is monetary assistance to help the student meet the expenses of attending college. Aid may be in the form of grants, student employment, loans, scholarships, types of outside assistance or a combination thereof.


Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available to undergraduate students and is based on the financial need of the student. The Federal Pell is applied for through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Only MAT.PB students may be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant.

A student may be eligible for the Pell Grant with less than full time enrollment depending on student’s award. You may not receive Pell at more than one school at a time. Pell Grant recipients are limited to six Scheduled Awards (maximum amount for full-time enrollment for a full academic year).

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

This is a grant for post-baccalaureate students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/01. Students who, at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, were less than 24 years old or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. This amount is the same as a Pell Grant amount and is adjusted for less than full-time enrollment.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG is a grant available based on the financial need of the student. Federal SEOG is applied for through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Awarding of SEOG is limited by federal funding.

Student Employment

The College provides jobs for students on campus through institutional and federally-funded programs. Student employment is limited based on positions that are available. Students are paid minimum wage or above. Information is available from the Student Employment Coordinator, Human Resources.

Federal Work-Study Program

This program provides jobs for students who demonstrate financial need through a federally-funded program. Federal Work-Study Program has jobs on campus and through specific community service entities.

College Work Program

College Work Program provides jobs for students on campus through an institutionally-funded program.


A loan is a type of financial assistance that must be repaid when students graduate or are no longer enrolled in college, depending on the terms of the loan. Students must sign a promissory note (legal agreement to repay) for any loan monies received. The promissory note contains detailed information about terms, responsibilities and repayment of loans.

Direct Loan Program

This program provides unsubsidized loans to students. The student is responsible for paying the interest that accrues on an unsubsidized Direct Loan. Loans must be repaid.

Direct PLUS Loan Program

This is a credit-based unsubsidized loan made to graduate students (Graduate PLUS) and parents of dependent post-baccalaureate students. This loan must be repaid. The interest rate for the PLUS Loan program is 6.41%. Students must access their Direct loan eligibility first before they are eligible for the Graduate PLUS loans. Graduate PLUS loan award amounts are available for the difference between the Cost of Attendance less other aid and Direct Loans. Graduate PLUS Loans are only available to Full and Conditional Admit graduate students.

Private, Credit-Based Loan (Also Known as Alternative Loans)

This is a credit-based loan for students to help with college financing beyond federal aid. A student does not have to complete the FAFSA to apply for and receive a private, credit-based loan. Various products are available for students.

Outside Sources

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

Students with physical or mental disabilities may be eligible to receive benefits from the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. Assistance may include counseling; training for vocational, technical or professional employment; and funding for books, supplies, maintenance, medical services and transportation. To apply, contact the regional Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. Missouri residents may contact the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Jefferson City, MO 65101.

GI Educational Benefits

Columbia College is approved for enrollment certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance (GI Bill) from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Eligibility requirements vary for veterans’ education benefit programs. For additional information and application materials, contact the Veterans Certifying Official, (573) 875-7504 or vacert@ccis.edu.

Students with questions about financial aid should call Registration and Financial Services Office for assistance (573) 875-7390. Additional financial aid information is available at: www.ccis.edu/financialaid.

Employer Tuition Assistance

Students who receive employer tuition assistance may have the costs of educational expenses paid by their employer through direct billing or through reimbursement. Students should check with their employers to determine which plan is appropriate for them.

  1. Direct Billing: A student whose employer offers direct payment to the College must ensure that the College receives a letter from the employer which authorizes and describes the conditions of such an arrangement. The letter must be on file in the Registration and Financial Services Office.
  2. Reimbursement: A student attending under employer reimbursement is required to follow the standard payment policy and then receive reimbursement following guidelines established by his/her employer.

Under either form of tuition assistance, students are responsible for any portion of the educational fees not paid by their employers. Students whose employers have contingencies on payments (such as attaining a certain grade) are required to pay as if they did not have employer tuition assistance and will be reimbursed after the employer makes payment.

Military Tuition Assistance (MTA)

Students receiving military tuition assistance (MTA) are required to present an approved MTA form at the time of registration. Students are personally responsible for any tuition or miscellaneous fees not paid by the military and are required to follow the standard payment policy for their portion of educational fees. Students may not register for a subsequent session if they have a balance due from previous sessions. It is recommended that military students contact the appropriate educational services officer for guidance and assistance in completing MTA paperwork.

Veterans Educational Assistance

An individual who is currently serving or has served in our nation’s armed forces may be eligible for educational assistance from the Veterans Administration (VA). Eligible students must complete paperwork required to establish VA eligibility at the time of registration. The VA pays benefits directly to eligible individuals. Students receiving VA benefits are, therefore, personally responsible for payment for all of their educational fees and are required to follow the standard payment policy of the College.

Attendance Policy for VA Students

Students using veterans’ benefits to attend Columbia College will have attendance monitored until the time the student drops, graduates, or completes the program. Unsatisfactory attendance will be reported to the DVA even if the VA student has completed the required number of hours to complete and no refund is due the student and/or refund sources. Therefore, the attendance policy (20% of the total program and/or being absent five [5] consecutive days) will apply throughout the student’s stay in school. All violations of the attendance policy will be reported to DVA on VA form 22-1999b within 30 days at such time the student exceeds the allowed number of absences.

Active Service

Columbia College recognizes that individuals serving in both National Guard and Reserve units may be in need of tuition refunds or credits if called to active service. Columbia College will assist students called to active military service with options regarding their registration in classes including, but not limited to, course work completion, tuition refunds or tuition credits.

Special Education Tuition Reimbursement

Pending state funding, tuition reimbursement for Missouri students may be available from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for paraprofessionals and contracted certified teachers who qualify and take courses in the area of Mild/Moderate Cross Categorical Special Education. Additional information is available from the MAT Graduate Program Coordinator.


Scholarships, awards and grants are forms of “gift” assistance that do not require repayment. Institutional aid is generally intended for tuition assistance. Endowed scholarships and awards are made through the generous gifts of alumni and friends of Columbia College. These awards are competitive and are primarily based on academic performance. Generally, scholarships, awards and grants are non-need based forms of financial assistance.

Due to federal regulations, scholarships and awards may be affected if you are receiving federal and/or state financial aid.