Sep 27, 2021
Other MAT Programs
Post Baccalaureate students are only eligible to take courses required for certification.
Content Area Requirements
Art Education (K-12) Minimum 30 hours
Design and Composition 2 hrs. min.
- ARTS 140 - 2-Dimensional Design or
- ARTS 141 - 3-Dimensional Design
Two-Dimensional Art 7 hrs. min.
- ARTS 120 - Drawing I
- ARTS 130 - Painting I
- ARTS 150 - Creative Photography or
- ARTS 262 - Printmaking I
Three-Dimensional Art 7 hrs. min.
- ARTS 141 - 3-Dimensional Art
- ARTS 271 - Ceramics I
- ARTS 345 - Teaching Art K-12
History, Theory, and Criticism 3 hrs min.
- ARTS 111 - Art and Ideas I or
- ARTS 112 - Art and Ideas II or
- Another approved Art History course
Art for Elementary Grades
- EDUC 345 - Teaching Art K-12
- Art Electives (if 30-hour minimum has not been met above)
Music Education (K-12) Minimum 36 hours
Theory 8 hrs. min.
- MUSI 134 - Music Theory I
- MUSI 236 - Music Theory II
- MUSI 338 - Music Theory III
Beginning Conducting 2 hrs. min.
- MUSI 353 - Basic Conducting
History/Literature Music 4 hrs. min.
- MUSI 223 - Music History I
- MUSI 326 - Music History II
Piano 2 hrs. min.
- MUSI 275 - Class Piano II
Choral Arranging 2 hrs. min.
- MUSI 351 - Choral Arranging
Applied Voice 6 hrs. min.
If voice is primary instrument
- MUSI 181 - Applied Voice Lessons or
- MUSI 182 - Applied Voice Lessons
- MUSI 283 - Applied Voice Lessons or
- MUSI 284 - Applied Voice Lessons
If piano is primary instrument
- MUSI 285 - Class Voice II
Choral Literature 2 hrs. min.
- MUSI 352 - Choral Literature
Choral Techniques and Advanced Choral Conducting 4 hrs. min.
- MUSI 386 - Advanced Choral Techniques, Literature, and Conducting
Choral Ensemble 2 hrs. min.
Two (2) hours to be chosen from:
- MUSI 160 - Jane Froman Singers or
- MUSI 360 - Jane Froman Singers
- MUSI 170 - Show Choir or
- MUSI 370 - Show Choir
- MUSI 180 Chamber Choir or
- MUSI 380 Chamber Choir
Methods/Techniques of Teaching 4 hrs. min.
Elementary School Music and Methods/Techniques of Teaching Secondary School Music
- EDUC 346 - Teaching Music K-12
Professional Education Requirements
1 Includes Field Experience: Students must complete the application form(s) for courses that include a field experience component by the semester BEFORE desired enrollment. See the Education Office for deadline information.
Teacher Certification Program
Students seeking teacher certification through the State of Missouri with Post-Baccalaureate status are required to meet requirements and seek admission to the Teacher Certification Program as early as possible.
Students who seek admission to the program must have:
- Completed at least six hours of the Post-Baccalaureate core at Columbia College, which must include EDUC 505 (Post-Baccalaureate core courses are: EDUC 505 , EDUC 542 , EDUC 550 and EDUC 550 [or their undergraduate equivalents]);
- Attained a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (includes all coursework, Columbia College and other) with no grade of less than C in the professional education and content area courses; (see Grading and Academic Standing ).
- Completion of application materials for admission to the Teacher Certification Program (to be obtained from the Certification Officer by appointment) and will include: Request for Admission, GPA Worksheet, and two letters of recommendation from Columbia College faculty (at least one letter of recommendation must be from Education Department faculty).
- Complete at least six (6) hours of professional education each year.
- Complete required field experiences (in EDUC 505 and EDUC 563 ) and receive favorable evaluations from cooperating teachers and faculty supervisors.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above after acceptance to the program.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above in professional education and content area courses.
- Content area coursework not completed in BA must also be taken to meet State certification requirements.
- Any content area or professional education course(s) with grade of “D” or lower must be repeated until a grade of “C” or above is obtained (see Grading and Academic Standing ).
Other Important Information:
Post-Baccalaureate certification students completing the FAFSA to receive financial aid for certification must complete the following questions on the 2014 - 15 FAFSA accordingly:
Question #29. What will your grade level be? Student must answer, “5th year/other undergraduate.”
Question #30. What degree or certificate? Student must answer, “Teaching Credential Program.”
Question #48. Are you a master’s or doctorate student? Student must answer, “No.”