May 15, 2021
Other MAT Programs
Post Baccalaureate students are only eligible to take courses required for certification.
General Education/Mathematics Requirements
- MATH 102 - Mathematics for the Elementary School Teacher
- MATH 150 - College Algebra
Arts and Humanities
- MUSI 122 - Music Appreciation or
- ARTS 105 - Art Appreciation or
- ARTS 111 - Art and Ideas I or
- ARTS 112 - Art and Ideas II
Social and Behavioral Sciences
- PSYC 101 - General Psychology
- ECON 293 - Macroeconomics
- GEOG 101 - Introduction to Geography
Professional Education Requirements
- EDUC 555 - Development, Gender and Cultural Differences 3 hours or
- SOCI 270 - Development, Gender & Cultural Differences 3 hours
- EDUC 100 - Introduction to Education 3 hours 1
- EDUC 105 - Human Health 3 hours
- EDUC 542 - Law, Ethics and Education 3 hours or
- EDUC 200 - Law, Ethics and Education 3 hours
- EDUC 560 - Theories of Learning 1-3 hours or
- EDUC 230 - Theories of Learning 3 hours
- EDUC 518 - Literature Across the Curriculum 3 hours or
- EDUC 270 - Literature Across the Curriculum 3 hours
- EDUC 505 - Instructional Theory and Techniques 3 hours 1 or
- EDUC 300 - Instructional Theory and Techniques 3 hours 1
- EDUC 302 - Teaching Skills 3 hours
- EDUC 563 - Management of the Classroom Environment 3 hours 1 or
- EDUC 311 - Management of the Classroom Environment 3 hours 1
- EDUC 580 - Methods of Effective Academic Evaluation 3 hours 2 or
- EDUC 322 - Methods of Effective Academic Evaluation 3 hours 2
- EDUC 558 - Advanced Techniques of Reading Methods & Instruction 3 hours 1 or
- EDUC 331 - Advanced Techniques of Reading Methods & Instruction 3 hours 1
- EDUC 521 - Language, Literature, and the Creative Arts for Elementary and Middle Schools 3 hours or
- EDUC 336 - Language, Literature, and the Creative Arts for Elementary and Middle School 3 hours
- EDUC 516 - Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum 3 hours 1, 2 or
- EDUC 338 - Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum 3 hours 1, 2
- EDUC 358 - Teaching Mathematics in the Elementary Schools 3 hours 1
- EDUC 590 - Analysis and Correction of Reading Disabilities 3 hours or
- EDUC 380 - Analysis and Correction of Reading Disabilities 3 hours
- EDUC 525 - Educating Exceptional Individuals 3 hours or
- EDUC 390 - Educating Exceptional Individuals 3 hours
- EDUC 550 - Human Development 3 hours or
- EDUC 391 - Human Development 3 hours
- EDUC 400 - Senior Seminar 3 hours
- EDUC 698 - Graduate Student Teaching (MAT only) 9 hours or
- EDUC 420 - Student Teaching 9-12 hours
1Includes Field Experience: Students must complete the application form(s) for courses that include a field experience component by the semester BEFORE desired enrollment. See the Education Office for deadline information.
2 EDUC 322 or EDUC 580 and EDUC 338 or EDUC 516 are required for those who began Elementary certification August 2009 and after.
Teacher Certification Program
Students seeking teacher certification through the State of Missouri with Post-Baccalaureate status are required to meet requirements and seek admission to the Teacher Certification Program as early as possible.
Students who seek admission to the program must have:
- Completed at least six hours of the Post-Baccalaureate core at Columbia College, which must include EDUC 505 (Post-Baccalaureate core courses are: EDUC 505 , EDUC 542 , EDUC 550 and EDUC 550 [or their undergraduate equivalents]);
- Attained a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (includes all coursework, Columbia College and other) with no grade of less than C in the professional education and content area courses; (see Grading and Academic Standing ).
- Completion of application materials for admission to the Teacher Certification Program (to be obtained from the Certification Officer by appointment) and will include: Request for Admission, GPA Worksheet, and two letters of recommendation from Columbia College faculty (at least one letter of recommendation must be from Education Department faculty).
- Complete at least six (6) hours of professional education each year.
- Complete required field experiences (in EDUC 505 and EDUC 563 ) and receive favorable evaluations from cooperating teachers and faculty supervisors.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above after acceptance to the program.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above in professional education and content area courses.
- Content area coursework not completed in BA must also be taken to meet State certification requirements.
- Any content area or professional education course(s) with grade of “D” or lower must be repeated until a grade of “C” or above is obtained (see Grading and Academic Standing ).
Other Important Information:
Post-Baccalaureate certification students completing the FAFSA to receive financial aid for certification must complete the following questions on the 2014 - 15 FAFSA accordingly:
Question #29. What will your grade level be? Student must answer, “5th year/other undergraduate.”
Question #30. What degree or certificate? Student must answer, “Teaching Credential Program.”
Question #48. Are you a master’s or doctorate student? Student must answer, “No.”