Jul 13, 2020
Other MAT Programs
Post Baccalaureate students are only eligible to take courses required for certification.
Possible Certification Areas:
(See Secondary School Content Checklists - approximately 30-40 hrs)
- Business Education (non-vocational)
- General Science
- Social Studies (History)
Professional Education Requirements
Teaching Methods Course:
- Mathematics - 360
- Social Studies - 362
- Science - 365
- English - 367
- Speech/Theatre - 368
- Business - 3691
Secondary Content Checklists
Teacher Certification Program
Students seeking teacher certification through the State of Missouri with Post-Baccalaureate status are required to meet requirements and seek admission to the Teacher Certification Program as early as possible.
Students who seek admission to the program must have:
- Completed at least six hours of the Post-Baccalaureate core at Columbia College, which must include EDUC 505 (Post-Baccalaureate core courses are: EDUC 505 , EDUC 542 , EDUC 550 and EDUC 550 [or their undergraduate equivalents]);
- Attained a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (includes all coursework, Columbia College and other) with no grade of less than C in the professional education and content area courses; (see Grading and Academic Standing ).
- Completion of application materials for admission to the Teacher Certification Program (to be obtained from the Certification Officer by appointment) and will include: Request for Admission, GPA Worksheet, and two letters of recommendation from Columbia College faculty (at least one letter of recommendation must be from Education Department faculty).
- Complete at least six (6) hours of professional education each year.
- Complete required field experiences (in EDUC 505 and EDUC 563 ) and receive favorable evaluations from cooperating teachers and faculty supervisors.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above after acceptance to the program.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above in professional education and content area courses.
- Content area coursework not completed in BA must also be taken to meet State certification requirements.
- Any content area or professional education course(s) with grade of “D” or lower must be repeated until a grade of “C” or above is obtained (see Grading and Academic Standing ).
Other Important Information:
Post-Baccalaureate certification students completing the FAFSA to receive financial aid for certification must complete the following questions on the 2014 - 15 FAFSA accordingly:
Question #29. What will your grade level be? Student must answer, “5th year/other undergraduate.”
Question #30. What degree or certificate? Student must answer, “Teaching Credential Program.”
Question #48. Are you a master’s or doctorate student? Student must answer, “No.”